Thursday, October 30, 2014
Last night had a great class with a good friend and second-gen Rickson blackbelt. which I will write up separately. Right now I gotta get serious work done on this appeal due the fourth.
happy training :)
Wednesday, October 22, 2014
Also, he posted a nice wristlock. I have been seeing them (as victim and attempted perpetrator) lots lately.
This is Anthony's channel.
I like the videos-- they're quick and easy to watch, with good explanations. Here's that wristlock...
Monday, October 20, 2014
Wednesday, October 15, 2014
1. I'm at a new school in a new city in a new life (this is a great place, by the way-- good people, good grappling, good vibe, good instruction.) But it's different. And I mean, different. I'm coming from one side of the BJJ family to the other, and wow, they really are.. on separate planets.
2. Now I get lots of one on one attention from the upper belts and instructor. LOTS. Lots of rolling time, every day. This is great. But it also means I am always frustrated.
3. My purple belt conferred no magic. I am still a small, older female. This means when grappling larger, younger, stronger men, I get stuffed. Less than before, success... but when I get somewhere with a brown or blackbelt... I know they let me, at some level. And I get pissed. But I also get pissed when they don't let me. And I'm struggling (still) to discern when the aren't letting me by virtue of using their strength (so not cool) or because their technique is so awesome.
4. I find myself comparing the way I was taught to do things with the way I'm currently being taught and I want my old way to be the better way (because if Donald and Henry taught it that way, then by golly, it's the right way). So when I ask about the new way and their preferences versus mine, I am frustrated that I don't always remember the reason why we did it this other way. And I am double mad when I can't execute the "right way" against the new people. Because I want to rep my origins.
5. When I am allowed to get somewhere, I find myself blanking and returning to the same old boring 3-4 subs and series. I need new material, writers!
6. Those same old series aren't working! so I need to find new sneaky ways! and hello, against browns and blacks, that's not easy at all.
Wednesday, October 08, 2014
It's been a while, but I'm back... back to training every day, back to thinking about Jiu jitsu and back to lots of parts of my life that kind of got back burner'd for a while.
Just wanted to show off my latest indulgence... this Mizuno gi, the Rickson model. It's lovely, heavy, soft, with a very thick collar. Size 3.5 is just a smidge big on me but I can't seem to shrink it and i don't want to alter it, so it's fine. You can see the Rickson embroidery is close to the pants hem, so if I shorten them, that proportion will be awry. I bought it used from a good friend. Who also got it used, as his name isn't Ishimaru (if Ms. or Mr. Ishimaru is out there, I'd love to get in touch...)
Anyway, been adjusting to a lot of life changes and enjoying the chance to train daily. I'm always working on my guard, and i feel most of the time like a purple belt (except when playing guard ;) )
Sunday, September 14, 2014
Someone with inside information posted a thread a few weeks ago on mma.tv about a BJJ instructor in California arrested for “child sexual assault.”At the time there were technically no charges. He was only being held in FL for extradition back to CA at that time.
Here is his site: http://gmrjiu-jitsu.com/instructor-brazilian-jiu-jitsu-in-claremont-ca/
The mugshots from FL showed the same individual.
http://app4.lasd.org/iic/ajis_search.cfm is the LA Sheriff’s search page. When his name is entered as “Gregorio Rivera” and the capcha is filled, the linked booking number comes back as 4083564.
Clicking through that link leads to more info. Case No. KA10706901, $150,000 bail, scheduled for 9/24/14.
Here is one reason why we should pay closer attention…
Last year, it appears he posted looking to teach in the UAE, mentioning kids classes a couple times.
I will keep this updated as more information becomes available.
Thursday, September 11, 2014
Thursday, August 21, 2014
I'm told by a good source that Dateline NBC was filming at Lloyd Irvin's this week and they'll be back in September.
If you agree that Dateline should be investigating the rape culture aspects of TLI, call them and make your opinion known. their number is (866) 639-7244.
An email address, if you prefer that: firstname.lastname@example.org
Sample comment with links to share (feel free to make it your own):
Please consider the real problems behind the Team Lloyd Irvin facade before you get manipulated into writing a fluff piece to help Lloyd Irvin rebuild his fading money maker and cover up his reputation.
Brent Brookhouse's story stream was very well done:
Monday, August 11, 2014
Friday, August 08, 2014
Chinese Cucumber Salad (from SewPetiteGal)
Prep Time: ~10 minutes
Marinating Time: ~30 minutes
1 English cucumber (can use regular cucumber if that's what you have)
1 tbsp Minced Garlic
Dash of Sesame Oil
1 tbsp Soy Sauce
1 tsp Chili Sauce (we use Sambal Oelek, amount is really up to you and your preferences)
Salt and Pepper
Green Onions (optional)
Combine garlic, sesame oil, soy sauce, chili sauce, salt, and pepper in a bowl and mix.